£180

Per Night

7 Guests

4 Beds

3 Baths

Visit England 4* Gold award-winning property.
Located in the heart of idyllic Winchcombe, this beautifully renovated 18th century cottage, sleeps up to seven guests, in four bedrooms one of which is a private annex. Thanks to its many skylights and windows, light sweeps through the cottage to create a bright and inspiring space. Free entry to Sudeley Castle & Gardens during the open season March to December excluding private events.

The hub of the home is the downstairs living space; with an inglenook fireplace and wood burner, cosy dining room, well-equipped kitchen and stunning sitting room with a smart TV, offering plenty of space for relaxing with views into the garden. The whole downstairs flows effortlessly through to the sun-trap courtyard garden, perfect for a BBQ after walking the Cotswolds Way!
Read full Description

Reviews

Martins house is really exceptional. Traditional with all mod cons which made our stay really enjoyable and comfortable. It is situated a short walk from Sudley Castle and in the beautiful village of Winchcombe, with Read more
Kay December 11, 2018
What a beautiful place! We had the cosiest, loveliest weekend away - the perfect early Christmas. The house was super clean, amazing kitchen, fireplace, easy check-in, comfy rooms etc. Easily accessible to town, Sudeley Castle Read more
Gabriela December 4, 2018
It's a very nice cottage and is very well decorated and maintained.
Terry November 20, 2018
nice place to stay, right next to the castle.
An November 4, 2018
This is a very quaint cottage in a delightful village with easy access to pubs and supermarkets. The kitchen is amazing but if you like to cook, bring everything with you as there was not Read more
Gwenli October 30, 2018

Facilities

  • WiFi
  • Dogs
  • Open Fire / Wood Burner
  • Pub within 1 mile
  • Parking - On street
  • Travel Cot - x1
  • High Chair - x1
  • Bedding & towels
  • Free Entry to Sudeley Castle (Mar - Oct)
  • BBQ
4.6/5
Overall
review score

Updated 4 Dec 2018
23 reviews
4.6/5
4 reviews
4.5/5
13 reviews
4.6/5
5 reviews
4.8/5
1 reviews

Full Description & House Rules

Summary

Located in the heart of idyllic Winchcombe is this beautifully renovated 18thcentury cottage, sleeps up to seven guests, in four bedrooms one of which is a private annex. Thanks to its many skylights and windows, light sweeps through the cottage to create a bright and inspiring space.

Already charmed by its picturesque exterior, the three-storey cottage will continue to delight as you enter inside.  The traditional home has been carefully refurbished to create a perfect mix of old and new.  Lady Ashcombe has personally selected works of art and furniture to bring the history and character of the cottage to life.  Some of the contents came directly from the Castles’ collection, others from local antique shops and auction rooms.

The hub of the home is the downstairs living space; with an inglenook fireplace and wood burner, cosy dining room, well-equipped kitchen and stunning sitting room with a smart TV, offering plenty of space for relaxing with views into the garden. The whole downstairs flows effortlessly through to the sun-trap courtyard garden, perfect for a BBQ after walking the Cotswolds Way!

The Quintessential Vineyard Street guides you all the way to the entrance of the majestic Sudeley Castle & Gardens.

Facilities

  • Dogs welcome (maximum of 2)
  • Free on street parking available
  • Inglenook fireplace with wood burner
  • WiFi
  • Charcoal Weber Kettle BBQ
  • Outdoor dining area
  • 4 bedrooms (including separate annex to sleep 2 guests)
  • 5 bathrooms (including en suite shower room in annex)
  • Russell Hobbs microwave
  • Bosch dishwasher
  • Bosch washer dryer
  • Cuisine Master range oven with gas hob and electric oven
  • Bosch fridge/freezer
  • Delonghi kettle & toaster
  • Nespresso coffee machine
  • Travel cot x 1
  • Highchair x 1
  • Hairdryer x 4
  • Iron
  • Bedding and towels
  • Pubs within 1 mile
  • Shops within 1 mile

Parking

Free parking is available on Vineyard Street or nearby lanes and roads.

Full Description

The Living Space

On entering the cottage, there is a small entrance area which leads through to the downstairs living spaces; all have wooden flooring. There are also two storage cupboards as you enter on the left containing useful items such as; ironing board, clothes airer, safety gate, high chair etc.  There is also a downstairs cloakroom.

Dining Room

Charming entertaining space with dining table and six chairs.  There are four additional chairs in the corners of the room.  An inglenook fireplace and wood burner complete this quirky space along with character beams and a large dresser displaying vintage plates.

Kitchen

Wonderfully light, modern kitchen offering ample oak worktops and cupboards including wine racks.

Living Room

The sociable living room boasts a 50” Smart TV and a large L-shaped sofa for chilling out by the Gazco electric flame-effect fire.  There are many books to enjoy whilst sitting in one of the antique armchairs or why not play cards or have some laptop time at the other end of the room.

The living room has many windows and a beautiful roof light, French doors lead you to the beautifully landscaped gravelled garden.

Upstairs

The staircase leads you to a storage cupboard with three useful shelves.  You then approach two carpeted bedrooms on the first floor.

Bedroom 2

An enchanting single bedroom with many items of vintage furniture including a wooden bench storage seat, dressing table with stool, built in wardrobe and upholstered window seat.

Bathroom

Heritage sink cupboard unit, illuminated mirror, bath with shower, heated towel rail and WC.

Bedroom 1

A delightful King bedroom with stunning views over the garden, Dent’s Almshouses and Sudeley Hill into the Cotswold countryside.  Complete with bedside cabinets and lamps, chest of drawers, two chairs, built in wardrobe and storage ottoman.

A further staircase leads to the top floor with another carpeted bedroom.

Shower Room

Heritage sink cupboard unit, shower enclosure, illuminated mirror, heated towel rail and WC.

Bedroom 3

Spacious and bright twin bedroom with stunning views again to the garden and surrounding countryside.  There are two bedside tables and lamps, two storage ottomans, an armchair, chest of drawers and built in wardrobe.

Annex – Bedroom 4

Fabulous space for teens who simply want their own space!  Just 10 meters across the courtyard garden to this gem with twin bedroom and en-suite shower room.

Generous room with twin beds complimented by two bedside chests and lamps, two storage ottomans, a chair, nest of tables and a wardrobe.

En suite Shower room

Shower enclosure with Mira shower, Heritage sink cupboard unit, heated towel rail, mirrored cabinet and WC.

What’s outside

The peaceful garden has been thoughtfully landscaped to create a gravel path which leads to the quaint annex. There are two patio areas, one of which is directly outside the living room offering the perfect spot to dine Al fresco.  Complete with a charcoal BBQ, outdoor dining table, six chairs and parasol you can sit back and enjoy the delightful country courtyard garden, manicured flowerbeds and a second patio near the annex with a further table & chairs for two.

History of Sudeley

Saxon to Tudor Period

Sudeley Castle gets its name from the Saxon word ‘Sud’, meaning South Place or South Field and in Saxon times its neighbouring town of Winchcombe was a royal stronghold for the kingdom of Mercia. Kenulf, who was King of Mercia from 796 to 821 had a royal palace in the town and founded Winchcombe Abbey in 798, a Benedictine Monastery which became a centre of pilgrimage until its dissolution in 1539.  Even before the Saxon era the Roman Legions had settled in the ‘fat valley’ of Winchombe and remains of their villas have been found on the Sudeley Estate.

Sudeley Castle’s own history begins in the 10th Century when it was owned by King Ethelred II (the unready) who gave the manor of Sudeley as a wedding present to his daughter Goda on her marriage to Walter de Maunt.  Traces of this original manor house have been found in the Hop Yard Field to the North East of the present Castle, but no record survives of life at Sudeley during this period, although we know that the Estate was highly prized – its oak trees were charted in the Domesday Book – and it also included a royal deer park.

Rather unusually the property was not confiscated after the Norman Conquest as Goda was distantly related to the Duke of Normandy. During the reign of King Stephen, the property passed to John de Sudeley who took up arms for Matilda against the King in 1139.  The King seized Sudeley and garrisoned it and it is likely that the first destruction of the Castle took place at this time.

The Castle was restored to the Sudeley family who flourished there for the next two centuries, distinguishing themselves in the Crusades and other campaigns and John, 9th Lord de Sudeley rose to become Lord Chamberlain to King Edward II before dying in 1367 when fighting with the Black Prince of Spain.  John left no children and Sudeley then passed through marriage to the Boteler Family.

Ralf Boteler became one of the Castle’s most illustrious owners.  A renowned Admiral of the Fleet, he fought in the French Wars under Henry V and Henry VI and was created Baron Sudeley in 1441.  He became Sudeley’s first great builder, using the spoils of war to rebuild the Castle as a magnificent residence.  His principle contribution to the building that still stands today were the Portmere Tower, to the west side, named after a French Admiral he captured, the Gatehouse, the Dungeon Tower (where the Castle offices are located), and the Banqueting Hall and Tithe Barn, both now romantic ruins. The wealth he gained from the French Wars also enabled him to build St Mary’s Chapel to the east, with a covered gallery leading from the Castle to the Family pew on the south side of the chancel.

Unfortunately, his prosperity did not last.  He backed the wrong side in the Wars of the Roses and with the accession of Edward IV of the House of York, Boteler who had backed the House of Lancaster, was branded a traitor.  He was saved from execution but was forced to sell Sudeley Castle and the Estate to King Edward and Sudeley once again became a royal property.

For the next nine years the Castle was owned, but essentially used by Edward IV’s brother, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, later King Richard III.  Henry VII defeated Richard at the Battle of Bosworth and became the first Tudor King, giving the use of the Sudeley Estate to his Uncle, The Earl of Pembroke and Duke of Bedford.  After Bedford’s death in 1495, neither Henry VII not Henry VIII seemed to have much interest in the Estate and although Henry VIII is said to have inspected the property with Anne Boleyn in 1535 the Castle fell into disrepair.

When Henry VIII died the young Edward VI gave Sudeley to his Uncle, Sir Thomas Seymour, appointing him Lord High Admiral and Baron Sudeley.  Seymour was a member of one of the most influential families in England at the time. His sister Jane Seymour, had been Henry VIII’s wife and his brother, Edward Seymour, was Duke of Somerset and Lord Protector to the boy king.  After Henry VIII Sir Thomas Seymour married the widowed Queen Katherine Parr, Henry’s sixth and last wife.

Thomas Seymour and Katherine Parr married within weeks of Henry’s death and he began to prepare Sudeley as their residence.  A nursery was made ready for the child Katherine was expecting, and these rooms still survive in the south-east corridor of the Castle within the 12th century tower.

Katherine Parr brought a vast household to Sudeley, and also the young Lady Jane Grey.  Miles Coverdale, the translator of the Bible, stayed at the Castle for a while and Katherine settled down to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the Gloucestershire countryside and await the birth of her child.  On 30th August 1548 Katherine gave birth to a daughter, Mary only to die seven days later of puerperal fever and the funeral was conducted by Miles Coverdale.

Thomas Seymor did not stay at Sudeley for the funeral but returned directly to London where he was attempting to anew his courtship with Princess Elizabeth and later seeking to ingratiate himself with the young Edward VI by turning him against the Protector, Edward his own brother. He was charged with treason, imprisoned in the Tower and beheaded on the 20th March 1549.

The Castle was then given to Katherine Parr’s brother, but he was also disgraced after being involved in the plot to place Lady Jane Grey on the throne for nine days, by which time Mary I had become Queen. In 1544 Queen Mary granted Sudeley Castle to Sir John Brydes one of her loyal supporters and created him Baron.

The Stuarts

When relations between Charles I and parliament finally broke down in 1642 Civil war became inevitable.  In August of that year Charles raised his standard at Nottingham and rallied his supporters.  At Sudeley Castle, George 6th Lord Chandos declared firmly for the King, armed his tenants and servants and placed the Castle under the command of his brother. Then the 22-year-old marched to join Charles at Shrewsbury with 100 men and £500 worth of gold plate.

This was the start of the central role which Sudeley Castle played in the Civil war.  Charles I made his headquarters at Oxford and Sudeley was garrisoned for the King and soon became the base for Charles’ nephew, Prince Rupert of the Rhine.  In January 1643, the Castle surrendered to the Roundheads during Chandos’ absence, being plundered and desecrated.  The Roundheads left Sudeley, which was once again garrisoned for the King only to be besieged a second time in June 1644 and surrendered after a long and heavy fight.  The Castle was left permanently scarred in the attack and the Octagon Tower still displays the large hole where it was hit by cannon fire.

At the end of the Civil war, Chandos was heavily fined, but retained the Castle by renouncing his support for the King and defecting to the Parliamentary party.  However, this was not enough to save Sudeley.  In April 1649, the Council of State ordered that the Castle be ‘slighted’ or rendered untenable as a military post.  The roof was removed exposing the entire building to the elements.  The greater part of the south quadrangle, the magnificent Banqueting Hall, of which only some of the fine windows and fireplaces remain, looks now much as it did in 1649.  Lord Chandos ended his life in obscurity and dishonour, the title and Estates passing to his brother, then to a distant cousin and finally to the Pitt family of Stratfield Saye.

Sudeley Castle itself lay neglected for two centuries, although the discovery of Katherine Parr’s tomb in the Chapel began to attract sightseers.  King George III was among them and on a visit in 1788 fell down one of the old staircases. With the prospect of the ruins becoming a visitor attraction the Marquis of Buckingham bought the Castle in 1810.

The Victorian Era

Sudeley Castle itself lay neglected for two centuries, although the discovery of Katherine Parr’s tomb in the Chapel began to attract sightseers.  King George III was among them and on a visit in 1788 fell down one of the old staircases. With the prospect of the ruins becoming a visitor attraction the Marquis of Buckingham bought the Castle in 1810 and used it as a public house and later it became a farm.

The Castle and Estate were finally rescued by William and John Dent, wealthy glove makers from Worcester, who in 1830 bought the Estate from Lord Rivers.  The Dent brothers were keen amateur historians and used their considerable wealth to start an extensive and ambitious programme of restoration, and the Castle soon became a family home with the added attraction of many of the Tudor paintings and artefacts bought at the Strawberry Hill sale in 1842.

When both brothers died within a year of each other in 1854/55 Sudeley Castle was left to their nephew John Coucher Dent who with his wife Emma Brocklehurst, from one of the Macclesfield silk families, continued the restoration work and so it is to Emma Dent that we owe the splendour of Sudeley as it stands today.  For almost half a century she dedicated her life to the Castle, building the Jubilee buildings of the West Wing, the North Tower, the two gate lodges and the present entrance to the Estate, as well as laying out the gardens, including planting the magnificent yew hedges.

She was also an enthusiastic collector of documents, paper and objects relating to the history of the Castle and the Family, as well as autographs from leading personalities of the time.

Emma Dent was also a tireless and generous benefactor to the local community, bringing piped water to Winchcombe, building a church and school at Gretton and with her husband the Almshouses and Dents School in Winchcombe.

Emma and John Dent had no children and on her death in 1900, he had predeceased her in 1885, the Castle was inherited by one of Emma’s nephews, Henry Dent-Brocklehurst, and has remained the Family home of the Dent-Brocklehurst’s for the entire 20th Century and continues into the 21st Century.

 

Local Amenities

 

Local Pubs & Restaurants

 

Wesley House Restaurant & Wine Bar, High Street 01242 602 366
Number 5, North Street 01242 604 566
The Old Corner Cupboard, 83 Gloucester Street 01242 602 303
The Lion Inn, 37 North Street 01242 603 300
Plaisterers Arms, Abbey Terrace 01242 602 358
The White Hart, High Street 01242 602 359
Food Fanatics Deli and Coffee Shop, 12 North Street 01242 604 466
The Royal Oak, Working Lane, Gretton 01242 602 477
The Pheasant, Toddington 01242 621 271
The Rising Sun, Rising Sun Lane, Cleeve Hill 01242 676 281

Takeaways

Laytons Fish & Chips, North Street 01242 603 080
Winchcombe Chinese, 17 North Street 01242 602 116

 

Convenience Stores

The Midcounties Co-operative, 22-24 North Street                                          Open 7am-10pm

 

Warner’s Budgens, Greet Rd                                                                             Open 7am-9pm

14 Vineyard Street

Winchcombe

7 Guests

4 Beds

3 Baths

Our latest luxury cottage is coming soon

If you would like to be notified when it’s available, please enter your email below.