5 places to shop ’til you drop in the Cotswolds(Last Updated On: 17th April 2019)
Most people come to the Cotswolds for a holiday in an idyllic rural location, to get away from it all and absorb the natural beauty of the area. At Bolthole Retreats we’re definitely all for some rural R&R! But sometimes a bit of serious mall and outlet shopping is what’s needed too. So, if you’re planning a trip to the Cotswolds and yearn to shop during your stay, here are our top 5 places – complete with Sat Nav and parking information:
Set in a pretty location on the outskirts of Bicester, the shopping village is very well laid out, giving a feeling of openness and calm as you go from shop to shop. World-leading brands offer savings of up to 60% off the recommended retail price, all year round, including Emma Bridgewater, Cath Kidston, Burberry, Clarks, DKNY, Dior, D&G, Fendi, Hunter, Jimmy Choo, Lulelemon, Oscar de la Renta, The North Face and Stella Macartney. The Village offers several shopping services and visitors can leave their luggage at the Bicester Visitor Centre while they shop.
- Sat nav: OX26 6WD
- Parking: Free!
- Bolthole Retreat Cottages near Bicester: Click here.
Located on the edge of the Oxfordshire Cotswolds, this is one of the smaller mall-type shopping centres with regular, rather than outlet, shopping. Stores include FatFace, M&S, Next, Primark, River Island and Oufit.
- Sat nav: OX16 3ER
- Parking: there are 587 parking spaces, including 36 spaces for Blue Badge Holders, 15 parent and baby spaces and 146 bike racks available for easy access. Parking is free for up to four hours.
- Bolthole Retreat Cottages near Banbury: Click here
About one hour’s drive from most parts of the Cotswolds, Swindon Designer Outlets is a popular day out with well-known brands offering up to 60% off, all year round, including a John Lewis Home Outlet. Built in a beautiful heritage building, you’ll also find cafes, restaurants, a children’s play area alongside more than 110 boutiques. Fashion brands include Polo Ralph Lauren, Ted Baker, Tommy Hilfiger and Jack Wills plus sports labels, such as Nike and Puma, and high-street favourites, such as Guess and Joules.
Children can ride around on the Hooter Express steam train and let of some of their own steam at the Wall Hola and interactive Sona play area.
- Sat Nav: SN2 2NA (for the North car park or Penzance Drive) or SN5 7JL for the West car park.
- Parking: 0 – 5 hours £1; 5 – 12 hours £12; free if you spend over £100.
- Bolthole Retreat Cottages near Swindon: Click here.
Featuring 56 brands including Nike, Calvin Klein, All Saints, Levi’s, Ted Baker, L.K. Bennet, Adidas and Fatface, with discounts up to 70% – it’s a real treat for those who love a bargain! Step outside of the outlet and you’re met with the recently renovated Gloucester Docks. The Victorian warehouses make a spectacular backdrop to the array of restaurants, pubs, cafes and bars and Cineworld cinema complex.
- Sat nav: GL1 5SF
- Parking: There is a multi-storey car park for 1400 cars which is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week: 0 – 2 hours £2.20; 2 – 4 hours £4.40; 4 – 6 hours £6.60; 6 – 24 hours £10.00
- Bolthole Retreat Cottages near Gloucester: Click here.
The Cotswolds’ capital has several shopping areas including Bath Road, Regent Arcade, The Promenade, the High Street and the new Brewery Quarter. The Regent Arcade is one of the UK’s oldest purpose-built covered arcades, which, as well as over 60 stores, 7 restaurants and parking for 500 cars, also features the famous Wishing Fish Clock designed by Kit Williams. The Promenade is a lovely place to stroll, with Vinegar Hill, The White Shop, Toast, Oliver Bonas, LK Bennet, Anthropologie, Jo Malone, Molton Brown to name just a few stores to enjoy. A new flagship John Lewis has recently opened on the High Street, joining other household names, including Cheltenham’s very own international brand, Superdry. Bath Road is home to smaller, one-off boutiques with lots of variety, while the newly re-launched Brewery Quarter, mostly given over to restaurants and cafes, has a brand new Urban Outfitters.
- Parking: there are several council-managed car parks and NCP car parks in the centre of Cheltenham.
- There are two Park & Ride services serving Cheltenham Town Centre, Arle Court (GL51 6SY, near M5 Junction 11) and Cheltenham Racecourse (GL50 4SH). Parking is free, and the service runs every few minutes.
- Bolthole Retreat Cottages near Cheltenham: Click here.
If you need advice or help finding a cottage give us a call on 01242 851208 or visit our website: boltholeretreats.co.uk/